Neck Pain – What Should I do?
Here at Compass Physio both in Tullyallen and in Castlecomer we are seeing more and more people attending our clinics with neck pain.
It can be an extremely painful condition and can present both suddenly as well as creeping up over time.
Physiotherapy can be very effective at treating neck (cervical spine) pain.
What Structures can be involved?
Each one of these could be a potential source of your pain and a chartered physiotherapist will carry out a detailed examination to identify the root cause of the symptoms and of course the best management.
Two Main Types Of Neck Pain:
This can emanate from the joints/muscles/ligaments and can often be localised. You may feel pain in a precise location and be able to place your fingers on the point of pain.
This can emanate from the discs/nerves and can often present as a burnig/shooting pain down into the shoulder/arm or even into the hand
Causes of Neck Pain can Include:
- Poor Posture
- Osteo Arthritis
- Muscle Imbalances/weakness
- Disc Protrusions
- Tight Muscles
- Many More factors can influence neck pain
How People Present to Compass Physio:
We see lots of neck pain and often we see clients who attend with the following symptoms;
- Stiffness at the neck/Loss of movement
- Pain at the base of the skull and often headaches associated with the neck pain
- Shoulder and arm pain that be aggravated by certain movements or activities
- Fear of movement in case they will cause more damage
- Unwillingness to take pain relief in case it masks the pain
How Physiotherapy Can Help?:
– GIve a formal diagnosis of what the problem is after a thorough assessment
- Rule out anything sinister going on
- Advice on the best early management Heat V Cold, Medication or not
- Early Mobility. Quite often early and gentle movement with neck pain can help prevent muscle spasm being coming too extreme and it also can reduce the length of time you may have the symptoms
- Manual therapy. Hands on treatment to free up the joints and muscles
- Home Exercise Programme. Often to stretch the tight muscles and strengthen any areas that have become week
As ever if in doubt give us a call at Compass Physio and we can advise you on the best course of action
Early Intervention can really make a difference